The Space Administration Panel provides space administrators with a way to manage a space’s structure, appearance, membership, and content. This panel is accessible by a space’s assigned space administrators. A space administrator can open their Space Administration Panel by selecting the cog located on the right of the space’s navigation bar.
Sections in this article:
- Features and functionality
- How to allow non-space members to join your space
- How to manually add non-space members to your space
Features and functionality
Accessing the Space Administration Panel
Space administrators can only access the Space Administration Panel associated with the space they have been assigned to.
Workplace administrators can access the Space Administration Panel of any space in their digital workplace. While the Space Administration Panel provides less tools than the Control Panel, it does provide a direct way of interacting with a space.
Roles granted to groups in the digital workplace do not provide direct access to the Space Administration Panel. However, members with roles can interact with space structure and membership through the Control Panel. For example, a group with the Manage Member Groups role would be able to use the Control Panel’s Manage Groups option to interact with a space’s groups and group membership.
Space Administration Panel features
The following pages can be accessed from the Space Administration Panel and each provide tools for a space administrator.
- Add new/remove space members and administrators.
- Create space groups and add/remove members from groups within the space.
- Set whether non-space members can request to join the space. When enabled, Join Requests will appear here and can be Accepted/Rejected.
- Adjust whether the space navigation bar appears below or above page titles and breadcrumbs.
- Add Header text to a space using the WYSIWYG editor. This text will appear above page titles and breadcrumbs. If you would like the header of a space’s home page to differ from other locations in the space, select Use a different header for the space home page (overrides header above).
- Add Footer text to a space using the WYSIWYG editor. This text will appear above the site wide Footer.
- The Navigation page is similar to the digital workplace’s Site Manager and provides a way to manage a space’s structure. Space administrators can use this page to add/remove/move channels and pages located in their space.
- View what pages, channels, folders, articles, and documents have been recently deleted from the Space. Deleted items will be held here for 30 days until permanently deleted. While items are in the Trash Can they can be Recovered, returning them to their original location. Items appearing in this Trash can will also appear in the digital workplace’s Trash Can.
- View and/or restore what content is archived within the space. For more information, see Archiving.
How to allow non-space members to join your space
- Turn on Join Requests: Navigate to the Manage Members page using the Space Administration Panel. In the Join Requests section, select Enable to add a Join Now button to the space’s navigation bar. Digital workplace members who are not a member of the Space will see this Join Now button.
- Provide Access to the Join option: Non-space members can only view the Join Now button if they have at least Read access to a location within the space. This provides them an entry point into the space where they can view the space navigation bar. This can be the Home page of the space, or a direct link to a location within the space that non-space members would have access to.
It is possible to restrict who can join a space by only giving specific groups access to the space’s entry point. If a group does not have access to any location within the space they will never be able to select the Join Now button. When a member selects the Join Now button it will switch to text that displays the message Pending.
- Monitor your emails for Join Requests, and Accept or Reject them: Whenever a digital workplace member selects the Join Now button an email is sent to all space administrators. This email will contain buttons that can be selected to Accept or Reject the Join Request.
Join Requests will also appear on the Manage Members page of a space. When a Join Request is accepted the requester will be added to the space members group.
How to manually add non-space members to your space
- Navigate to the Manage Members page via the Space Administration Panel underneath the Membership header.
- Select the group that you want to add the member to. When adding a non-space member to a space or administrators Group, they will automatically be added to the space’s Members group.
- Type in the name of member and select them.
- Select Update to add them to the selected group.