Extended access, previously known as flex access, gives workplace administrators the ability to add users who don't have email addresses to their digital workplace. This provides a way for these types of users to stay connected with the people, information, and processes that reside in their digital workplace.
Sections in this article:
- Considerations and caveats
- Enabling extended access in your digital workplace
- Unique features of an extended access account
- Adding extended access users to your digital workplace
- Resetting an extended access user's Igloo authentication password
- Revoking extended access users from your digital workplace
- Identifying extended access accounts in your digital workplace
- Signing in to workplaces that redirect to an SSO login page
- End-user experience
Considerations and caveats
- ILST: Extended access users cannot be managed by the ILST.
- Premium/Custom profiles: Extended access is not currently supported for digital workplaces that use Premium or Custom profiles.
- SSO Provisioning: Extended access users cannot be created using SSO provisioning.
- Mobile app: Extended access users can use the mobile app.
Enabling extended access in your digital workplace
Contact the Customer Success Team to have this functionality enabled in your digital workplace.
Unique features of an extended access account
- Member ID: Extended access users are assigned a member ID instead of an email address. This member ID is their unique identifier in the digital workplace and acts as their username. It can be up to 63 characters long.
Security questions: Extended access users create three security questions when they first log in. Users can select which questions they will use and must provide answers to them. Should a user forget their password, they will be prompted to correctly answer these three questions to reset their password. Answers are case-sensitive and cannot be changed by administrators. The following are potential questions that can be selected:
- What was your childhood nickname?
- In what city or town did you meet your spouse/significant other?
- What was the name of your favorite childhood friend?
- What was the name of the street you lived on as a child?
- What was the first concert you attended?
- What is your oldest sibling's middle name?
- What is your oldest child's middle name?
- What was the make and model of your first car?
- What was your childhood phone number including area code? (e.g. 000-000-0000)
- What is your oldest cousin's first and last name?
- What was the name of your favorite stuffed animal?
- In what city or town did your mother and father meet?
- What was the last name of your favorite teacher?
- What is your maternal grandmother's maiden name?
- In what city or town was your first job?
- What is the name of the place your wedding reception was held?
- What was your first pet's name?
- In what city or town does your nearest sibling live?
- What is the name of a college you applied to but didn't attend?
- What primary school did you attend?
Adding extended access users to your digital workplace
You can add extended access users to your digital workplace using the following methods:
- Individual Add: Add a single user to your digital workplace. When you add a user in this way, you can select which groups they are in. For more information, see Adding a member to the digital workplace.
- Bulk Upload: Add multiple users to your digital workplace. When you add users in this way, you can select which groups they are in and add profile information. For more information, see Bulk Upload.
Regardless of how you've added an extended access user, you must communicate to them their member ID and password so that they can sign in to your digital workplace.
Resetting an extended access user's Igloo authentication password
You can enter a new password for a user if they are unable to remember their current password and can't answer their security questions. For more information, see Resetting a member's Igloo password.
Revoking extended access users from your digital workplace
You can revoke users from your digital workplace individually or in bulk from the Manage Members page. For more information, see Revoking users from a digital workplace.
Identifying extended access accounts in your digital workplace
Manage Members page: Extended access users have the following icon next to their name:
Profile page: A message will display under a user's name indicating that they are a member ID account:
Signing in to workplaces that redirect to an SSO login page
Some digital workplaces are configured to redirect users to their SSO login page. However, users can bypass this by navigating directly to the Igloo authentication login page.
To get to the Igloo authentication login page, users can append
/?signin to the root URL of their digital workplace and then navigate to that location. Be aware that entering incorrect credentials will result in redirection to the SSO login page.
While extended access users generally experience the digital workplace in the same way as email users, the following are some differences that they will encounter:
- Notifications: Extended access users can view broadcasts and from the Messages page in the digital workplace or the Notifications tab of the mobile app. Instant subscription notifications can be viewed on the Feed tab of the mobile app.
First-time authentication: The first time an extended access user signs into the digital workplace with the provided member ID and password, they are prompted to create a new password and three security questions.
- Forgot password process: If a user can't remember their Igloo authentication password, they can select Forgot your password? on the login page. After entering their member ID, they will be prompted to answer their security questions. If they correctly answer these, they are prompted to enter a new password. For more information, see Resetting a forgotten Igloo password.
- Changing passwords and security questions: Extended access users can change their password and security questions from the Login Settings tabof their profile. For more information, see: