Following channels and content subscribes you to receive email notifications from them.
- When following a channel, you will receive email notifications when content is added to the channel.
- When following content, you will receive email notifications when the content is edited, or a comment is made on it.
Sections in this article:
- Considerations and caveats
- What can and can't be followed
- How to follow channels and folders
- How to follow a channel from its content
- Frequently asked questions
Considerations and caveats
- Frequency: Depending on how you follow, you may have the option to also set a notification frequency. However, you can change the frequency of existing subscriptions at any time. For more information, see Managing your Subscriptions.
- Automatically following content: By default, you will automatically follow content that you create or post a comment on. For more information, see Managing your Subscriptions.
What can and can't be followed
The following channels and content can be followed:
- Blog channels and articles
- Calendar channels and events
- Folder channels, folders, and files
- Forum channels and topics
- Microblog channels and posts
- Wiki channels and articles
The following channels and content can't be followed:
- Task channels and tasks
How to follow channels and folders
- Go to the channel and select the Follow button found in the right information panel to create an Instant subscription. This method is not available on calendar channels, folder channels, and folder files.
- Go to the channel and scroll to the bottom of it. Select Follow. Select a frequency of notifications and then select Set to create the subscription.
- While viewing a blog article, document, forum post, or wiki article, select the bell icon () at the top of the article next to the channel name to create an Instant subscription.
How to follow content
- Go to the content and select the Follow button. The button is found either below the content (blog articles, documents, forum posts, and wiki articles) or to the right of it (calendar events and microblog posts).
- Go to the content and scroll to the bottom of the page. Select Follow. Select a frequency of notifications and then select Set to create the subscription. This method is not available on microblog posts.
Frequently asked questions
- I am following the content and I selected weekly updates. It’s been a week, why haven’t I received my notification? The counter doesn’t start counting down until content has been posted.
- Why don’t I see an option to follow my channel? You may not be on a channel. Pages and spaces do not have a follow option and can be constructed to look a lot like a channel. You can be sure you’re on a channel by clicking through to one of the articles, and then using the Breadcrumbs to navigate up to the channel it's in.
- I have followed a folder channel, why am I not receiving any notifications on items within sub-folders? Subfolders within a folder channel need to be followed separately from the folder channel itself. Following a folder channel, does not result in a subscription that cascades to sub-folders in the channel.