What is the Igloo Desktop Client?
The Igloo Desktop Client is an extension of Microsoft Windows Explorer and is used to display Igloo work areas as folders and files on your PC. The most common operations performed on a folder/file within Igloo (i.e. upload, download, move, rename, reserve) can be performed from your desktop.
The Desktop Client also enables inline edit. To edit a document in the web application, click Edit Now in the preview window to open the file in a format-compatible application. Once you save changes, a new version will be automatically uploaded to the site, without requiring a download to your desktop.
The Desktop Client supports Microsoft Windows 7 and above, and can be enabled by contacting Igloo support.
For additional documentation, check out the articles on how to install or uninstall the client.
Using the Desktop Client
The Desktop Client will appear as a folder (icon) under "My Computer" named Igloo Desktop.
- Double-click the Igloo Desktop icon or right-click and choose "Open" to access your Igloo.
- Enter your login credentials. The process will follow the same steps as the web view, which means that extranets or sites with SAML sign in may not be directed to the sign in page immediately and navigation may be required to reach the login screen.
3. A window will open showing the community that you are logged into through the desktop client. From here, you can enter and navigate the site contents like any other folder structure on your computer.
Note: Content is permission-based, so you only have access to the files and folders that you have permission to see.
Automatically Saved Actions
All actions are automatically synchronized between the Desktop Client and the community.
1. New folders:
- You can create a new folder by right-clicking inside the window and selecting "New Folder".
- Enter the file name and click "OK".
- The folder will appear both in the Desktop Client and in the community.
- Right-click on the folder to access the action menu (rename, delete, etc.)
2. Moving files/folders:
- All files and folders can be moved and copied within the community or to and from your PC using the "copy" action.
- Files and folders can also be dragged and dropped.
3. Saving New Files
- Example: Open Notepad and add some text. At the top of the toolbar click on "File" and select "Save".
- Navigate to Desktop Client, the community, and the folder you wish to save your document to.
- Enter the file name and click on "Save".
4. Inserting new versions:
- Right-click on the file and select "Insert New Version".
- The browse dialogue box will appear. Select the document and click "Open".
Tips and Tricks
To get the most out of the Igloo Desktop Client - please instruct your IT Administrator to whitelist the application. This will allow the Igloo Desktop Client to bypass the default anti-virus check as it will be a trusted application. It will also improve overall performance and allow larger file uploads/downloads by your users.
Microsoft imposes a maximum filename length such that a filename, including the file path to get to the file, can't exceed between 255-260 characters.
If labels are set to mandatory, only the browser file upload can be used to upload files to those folders.
If you reserve a file in the Igloo Desktop Client (right-click to reserve), click refresh in the client in order for the reservation notification to appear.
The Igloo Desktop Client does not support files authored using a double-byte character set (DBCS), such as Japanese and Chinese.
If you belong to multiple communities and the Desktop Client is enabled for 2 or more of those communities, you will not be able to drag-and-drop files between those sites.