Below is a description of recent enhancements made to the IGLOO online community and social networking software suite.
We're pleased to announce the following product enhancements:
- URL Shortcuts
- Search Enhancements
Upgrade and Release Details
Documents being worked on by a group of users can be reserved (or locked) to indicate to other users that the document is currently being updated. Only users who have reserved a document can upload new versions:
- The reservation feature is available on documents in any community file work area
- Reservation associated actions can be found in the item's drop down menu (for users with Full permission levels) or from the document's details page
- Reserving a document locks the ability for other users to add versions to that document; all other actions can still be performed on the document (ex. the document can be renamed while it is reserved)
- Wherever a document is reserved it can be either released (by the owner of the reservation) or taken over/stolen (by another user)
- If a lock is stolen by another user, the reservation owner receives an email informing them of the change of reservation 'ownership'
2. URL Shortcuts
Community Administrators will be able to add URL shortcuts that points to any destination (page or file) within their site. This will work for pointing to things like documents (including shortcuts straight to document downloads), pages, and technical files (ex. robots.text for search engines).
Simply add a shortcut URL & a destination URL; the system takes care of the mapping:
- shortcuts must contain only valid characters (ex. cannot contain *)
- shortcuts must contain only unreserved words (ex. cannot be /wiki)
- shortcuts must be limited to one level (ex. cannot be /books/hello must only be /hello)
- shortcuts must only reference new shortcuts (ex. cannot have two identical shortcuts)
- destinations must only reference internal domains
3. Search Enhancements
Search results are now completely permissioned! Users will no longer get missing results on pages...if you're returned 10 results...you have permission to see all 10 items!
Lucene performs a full text search with content length and search term key word occurrence determining the weight of the result. Both single terms and phrases (more than one term in double quotes) are supported. The system also handles word stemming; so runs, running, and run are all reduced to run by the system and therefore all three results will show up in a search for "run".
Boolean operators allow terms to be combined through logic operators and help users refine their searches. Lucene supports AND, "+", OR, and NOT as Boolean operators (Note: Boolean operators must be ALL CAPS).
* To search for items that contain sun and shine use the query: "sun" AND "shine"
* To search for items that must contain "sun" and may contain "shine" use the query: +sun shine
* To search for items that contain sun but not shine use the query: "sun" NOT "shine"
4. Private Beta
A private beta release showcases new functionality that has gained enough stability through alpha and formal quality assurance testing to be released on production to a controlled group. These two new features are now still in private beta and are being reviewed before they are released to the public during the upcoming months:
- Widgets - will give community administrators the ability to create pages using a set of pre-configured, drag and drop widgets. Widgets are the fastest way to create page layouts with dynamic community content! For a sneak peak click here.
- Email Enabled Forums - Community members will be able to read, respond and even create forum posts and comments via their favorite email client, even from their handheld device.
We hope you found this update helpful; for more information, please visit our Tools and Resources section.