Our most recent product update features some very exciting applications and enhancements added to the IGLOO online community solution.
We're pleased to announce the following feature enhancements:
- Filtered Search
- Invitations Pending Status
- Registration Troubleshooting
- Beta Program
Upgrade and Release Details
Labels are community tags that administrators can create to enable their members to relate and organize their information across the community. This kind of meta data is used to describe an item and allows it to be found by browsing and searching. Labels help users to find information more effectively and add relational value to content within context of the community.
How labels work:
- Labels and their 'groups' are created by administrators, however members with full access can select labels for their content
- Labels can be applied to IGLOO Blog Articles, Documents, Images, Forum Topics and Wiki Articles
- Users can click on a label to view a filtered list of items similarly labeled within a specific application (example: blogs)
- Users can toggle between "view by date" which sorts by most recent date and "view by name" which sorts alphabetically
- User can also choose to filter the results by type (Blogs, Documents, Forums, Albums, and Wiki)
- Administrators can use the label feature, to
- create, edit and delete labels
- organize their labels into label groupings
- Note: Because labels are community wide all associated actions are global (example: renaming a label while on an image will rename it everywhere else it is used in the community)
2. Filtered Search
Community searches can now be filtered by "Type" allowing users to refine their searches.
- Clicking on the Type on the right hand side will filter the results for the specified type (example: Blogs)
3. Invitation Pending Status
Administrators now have the ability to track the delivery status of sent community invitations within the Control Panel.
- Pending invitations now display icons beside the Name field; the icon hover state indicates the delivery status
- Delivery Stages:
- No information available - will be displayed for emails created prior to the new feature
- Delivery pending - will be displayed when the request is being processed
- Delivery in progress - will be displayed when the email is in the queue and waiting to be delivered
- Delivery attempt failed - will be displayed when the first (and second) delivery attempt(s) have failed
- Delivery failed - will be displayed when the third and final delivery attempt has failed
- Clicking on the icon will open the delivery details' modal box which contains:
- Delivery status information (example: the email has been queued for delivery)
- Attempt details (example: first attempt and status)
- Example of the email sent (example: invitation emails)
4. Registration Troubleshooting
Administrators now have the ability to track registering user status with the option to activate the account on the user's behalf.
- Upon registration, an email is sent to the user with a link to activate their account which verifies that the user is the real account holder. Often, incomplete registrations occur due to accounts not being activated. Here are some common reasons:
- Spam Filters: Occasionally, spam filters will redirect registration emails into a spam or junk-mail folder; ensure that the user has looked in these folders
- Typos: It is possible that the email address was incorrectly entered; ensure that the email account is spelled correctly
- Delivery Problems: Occasionally, a user's email provider will have trouble accepting email (example: if the inbox is full); ensure that the user is receiving emails in general
- The Pending table lists the users who have not yet activated their accounts
- Hovering over the email icon beside each name will provide the delivery status of the account activation email
- Clicking on the icon will supply more detailed information (example: time and date of delivery or reason for failed delivery)
- Clicking Activate manually activates the user's account
- Clicking Delete completely deletes the user's account
5. Heartbeat (a.k.a. Session Expiry):
- What is Heartbeat? Simplest answer is when a user is completely idle the system receives a continuous "heartbeat" for 3 hours which maintains the user's session. After 3 hours the heartbeat stops and the system prompts the user to keep their session open (which would allow them to save their data)
- This prompt stays open for another 30 minutes at which time the session will expire (and all unsaved data will be lost)
- The Heartbeat feature is not activated if a user clicks "Remember Me" when they sign-in
- Note: if the user simply scrolls the page or does anything that notifies the system that someone is alive at the other end, the heartbeat session resets!
6. Beta Program
A private beta release showcases new functionality that has gained enough stability through alpha and formal quality assurance testing to be released on production to a controlled group. These features are now in private beta and are being reviewed before they are released to the public during the upcoming months:
- NEW! BlackBerry® Client Application - extends IGLOO's current mobile strategy for the BlackBerry, taking it beyond simple web browser and email application support. In this first release, members are able to read blog articles, browse recent discussions, see and post comments, search blog articles and access member profiles.
- NEW! Desktop Client Application - will allow users to share files from their personal computers quickly and easily with other members in their online community. This new feature marries the flexibility of web-based social software with the power of the desktop, allowing users to seamlessly and securely save and download documents right from the desktop directly to their IGLOO online community. View the Desktop Client in action.
- Widgets - will give community administrators the ability to create pages using a set of pre-configured, drag and drop widgets. Widgets are the fastest way to create page layouts with dynamic community content! For a sneak peak click here.
- Email Enabled Forums - community members will be able to read, respond and even create forum posts and comments via their favorite email client and from their handheld device.
We hope you found this update helpful; for more information, please visit our Tools and Resources section.